Sunday, November 9, 2014

2-Ingredient Whole Roasted Chicken

Think you can't roast a whole chicken? Think again!  Today, I'm showing you how to make an impressive whole roasted chicken that the entire family will enjoy. This dish is perfect for a weeknight meal or a Sunday family dinner. My kids love to have it with some fluffy white rice and a big tray of roasted broccoli.  This chicken takes just minutes to prepare and just over an hour until ready!  To keep it frugal, I like to wait until I see whole chickens for $.99/lb at my local grocery store and then I stock up!  You may never buy a Costco Rotisserie chicken again!


Ingredients
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
Montreal Steak Seasoning
4-5.5 lb whole chicken

Instructions
Place a cast-iron skillet into your oven on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 475°.

While your oven is heating, open the packaging of your chicken.  Reach into the chicken and pull out everything soft that you can feel inside (this is a little gross if you're new to whole chickens!).  Discard these pieces (or save for stock, stuffing, etc).

Melt butter.

When oven has fully heated, carefully take out cast iron skillet. Place whole chicken onto skillet (it will sizzle!).  Pour melted butter all over the chicken.  Sprinkle Montreal Steak Seasoning all over the chicken.  [If you'd like, you can add more salt at this point; however, I personally feel that the seasoning is salty enough!]  Place skillet back into oven and roast for 50 minutes.

Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.  (Don't skip this part! The chicken finishes cooking in the skillet outside of the oven and it keeps all of the wonderful juices inside!)  You'll want the chicken to register 165° in thickest part of the thigh and for the juices to run clear.


Source: Adapted from I Heart Naptime Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I did it! Thanks for posting this because I was way too intimidated to cook a whole chicken before your post! Can't get over just how easy it was and delicious too!!! I added quartered red potatoes around the chicken for a complete easy meal!

    ReplyDelete