Sunday, November 30, 2014

Cheater's Fried Rice

As a child, we'd go out for Chinese food pretty often.  I loved so much about it.  The crunchy wonton noodles, the crispy egg rolls and oh... the fried rice!  My husband isn't a fan of Chinese food at all and ever since our son's sesame allergy diagnosis, Chinese food has just been off the table.  Sometimes though, I still get a craving and I just need to whip up some of my cheater's fried rice.  It makes just enough for 2 servings so I usually make it on a Saturday and have enough for weekend lunch for myself.  I love that it's so fast and easy to make and how it hits the spot when that Chinese food craving comes!  I also love that I don't have to hide, wait until after bed time or sneak out of the house to eat it!

Cheater's Fried Rice

Ingredients

1 package Trader Joe's frozen brown rice (or 2 cups cooked brown rice)
1 bag steamer frozen stir fry veggies
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 scallions, whites & green ends separated
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small piece of fresh ginger, grated (or 1-2 teaspoons ginger powder)

Optional (any combination of the following):
-Sriracha sauce
-cooked protein (shrimp, chicken, salmon, pork, etc)
-Trader Joe's Cruciferous Crunch blend

Instructions

If using Trader Joe's frozen rice, heat in microwave according to package instructions.  When finished, allow to cool slightly while microwave-steaming your veggies.

Heat oil in nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat.  Add beaten egg and scramble until egg is fully cooked.  Pour in frozen peas and whites of scallions.  Add in cooked brown rice, ginger, garlic and soy sauce.  When veggies are ready, add to skillet.  Mix and cook all ingredients, stirring often.  I like to pat everything down flat in the skillet and let it brown and get a bit crunchy! It adds so much flavor.  

If you're using any protein, you can add it now!  I often throw in some frozen cooked shrimp that I've thawed under cold water. Sometimes I add in some leftovers from the previous night's dinner like cooked chicken pieces or even some chopped pork.  Top with the green parts of scallion. 

Personally, my favorite thing to add is some Cruciferous Crunch blend once everything is cooked. I mix it together and then add some spicy Sriracha sauce and the greens of the scallions.  Enjoy!  Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments:

Post a Comment